What is an Exercise mat? Which mat is suitable for exercises? And is it essential to do exercise on an exercise mat? This confusion may arise when we decide to buy an exercise mat. An exercise mat is a convenient tool for stretching and strength exercises safely and comfortably on the floor, without twisting, breaking, or sliding throughout the workout.
The exercise mat is handy for having regular floor-based strength exercises. Workout mats offer a sturdy exercise surface and guard against sliding and accidents. you can find the best exercise mat for your fitness in 2022-23.
Check also: Best Yoga Mats
Best Exercise Mats
These Best Excercise Mats lists will be very useful for workouts. Some of the Best Mats for exercise
1. ATIVAFIT Non-Slip TPE – Best Value Workout Mat
These mats feature a lightweight variant that weighs just over two pounds. They have helpful alignment markings to guide placement and form during workouts. This mat is made of padded foam material and has a non-slip grip. The greatest deal with this fitness mat is it includes a carrying strap.
- It is affordable.
- It can be easily used for traveling.
- Eco-friendly material.
- Non-slip workout mat.
- Available in various colors.
- Useful alignment markers.
- Not ideal for HIIT workouts.
2. Gxmmat Large Exercise Mat – Best Large workout mats
These mats are huge and extremely thick. It is intended for aerobics and HIIT workouts and will stay in place. Jump roping can also be performed on these mats.
- Skid-proof design.
- Gymnastic Exercise mat.
- Large in size.
- Best for cardio workouts.
- It may be used as an exercise mat or for placing gym tools.
- The mat will be fixed and not slide around.
- Not portable.
3. LERYG Yoga Mat Large Fitness Exercise Mat Durable
These mats are of good quality and provide excellent floor traction. These non-slip grips function admirably in workouts ranging from yoga to high-impact activities.
- Adding stability to the workout.
- Provides non-slip grip.
- Perfect stance every time.
- Reversible mat.
- Durable thick material.
- Great grip.
- It is one of the heaviest mats.
4. Active Gear Large Exercise Mat
This mat gives giant space for exercise and caters to your health needs. This exercise mat is compatible with concrete, tiles, and carpet flooring. You will feel at ease and comfortable while doing exercise. It is 8’6 ft long and has plenty of space to exercise.
- An ideal choice for high-intensity exercises.
- Extremely durable.
- Compatible with tile.
- Can be used daily.
- Extra large.
- 7 mm padded.
- It may have a peculiar odor.
5. BalanceFrom GoYoga – All-Purpose Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat
These training mats are thick and easy to roll and transport after use. This mat is excellent for floor activities, such as core work. It is ideal for outdoor workouts that require cushioning.
- These mats have double-sided non-slip surfaces.
- Excellent slip-resistant.
- Exceptional resilience.
- Moisture-resistant technology.
- Available in various colors.
- With a Yoga mat strap.
- Extra cushioning for ample comfort.
- A thick design is not suitable for specific workouts.
- No grip at the bottom of mats.
6. GURUS Sweat Proof Durable Cork Yoga Mat – Cork Yoga Mat With Natural Rubber bottom
Cork yoga mats are an antimicrobial choice that improves grip when your body heat increases and you sweat. It is 5mm thick and has good floor traction.
- No harsh chemicals were used.
- No-slip grip.
- Easy to clean.
- Sustainable material.
- Smooth yet firm.
- Anti-microbial cork material.
- It took a few applications to flatten out totally.
- It is on the heavier side.
7. ProsourceFit Tri-Fold Folding Thick Exercise Mat -Tri-Fold Folding Exercise Mat
This mat can be folded three times and is very portable with a relatively small size for storage. Tri-fold mats are perfect for homework and floor workouts. Since it is a thin mat, cutting it was unnecessary for outdoor exercises.
- Helps in safe interior usage.
- Foldable mat.
- Helps with storage and easy travel.
- A tri-fold design ideal for storage.
- Cushioned surface.
- Different colors are available.
- The low grip on the bottom.
- Quite stiff.
8. Alpcour Multipurpose- Bike Trainer Mat
The Alpcour Bike Trainer Mat offers a surface safe from injuries while exercising. It is the best exercise mat and works with various gym gear. It is made with thick PVC and a top layer that has been quality-hardened.
- Increases efficiency and safety.
- Assured safety.
- Highly durable.
- Best workout mat for the gym.
- Sweat and water-resistant.
- Non-slip workout mat.
- Portable and lightweight.
- It is a heavy mat.
9. BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat with EVA Foam Interlocking tiles
You may require interlocking fitness mat tiles like these from Balance Form to protect your flooring and increase the intensity of your workout. We appreciate that the set comes with end borders to give the mat’s edges a finished appearance in your home gym.
- Appropriate for usage.
- These mats are waterproof.
- Rubber-like softness.
- Available in different colors.
- Good quality durable mats.
- They are not portable.
10. Still Cool Puzzle Exercise Floor Mat
Interlocking exercise mat tiles like these from Balance Form may be the answer to protecting your flooring while also intensifying your workout. The set’s end borders are a nice touch because they make the mat corners in your home gym seem sharp.
- Good quality.
- Cushioning for all types of workouts.
- Good durability.
- Quality products.
- Available in a variety of colors.
- Not portable.
11. Finer Form Exercise Equipment floor mat
This floor mat is a huge foam mat that is robust and high-density to guard against damage when performing high-density workouts. These mats aid in the performance of various floor-based exercises. This large mat is enough to occupy the gym equipment.
- Moisture resistant.
- Anti-slip in nature.
- High durability.
- Made with non-toxic materials.
- It could be thicker.
12. POGAMAT Premium Large Exercise and Fitness Equipment Mat
Pogamat Exercise Mat is a high-density mat with one of the best HIIT fitness mats (high-intensity interval training). It is a comfortable and long-lasting mat. It is intended to give additional assistance when exercising.
- Two-sided mat.
- Eco-friendly mat.
- Highly durable.
- Heavy-duty mat.
- High warranty
- It’s a hefty mat.
13. SPRI Exercise Mat for Fitness
SPRI Exercise mat is a thick poly-foam exercise mat ideal for pilates. It has a cutout handle that is convenient to hang after each usage.
- Offers support and comfort for your workout.
- Easily transportable.
- High quality.
- Classic exercise mat.
- Thick polyfoam mat.
- Provides comfort and support.
- Suitable for all kinds of floor exercises.
- Cutout handle for hanging.
- Not good at sweat absorption.
14. YOGA DESIGN LAB- The Infinity Mat
Even on hard flooring, these mats provide excellent cushioning when used for intense exercises. The home gym can now include this carpet.
- Good texture.
- Vibrant colors are available.
- Great floor traction.
- Comfortable and cushioned.
- They are on the heavier side.
15. Launch Fitness Indoor/ Outdoor jump rope mat
These mats are appropriate for floor exercises, stretching, strength training, and heavy jump ropes. A high-density PVC mat can prolong the life of your jump rope and protect your joints by cushioning impact.
- Non-slippery nature.
- Easy to carry.
- Oval shape.
- Lifespan is high.
- Thick mat.
- Joint protection and impact absorption.
- Both sides have no-slip surface.
- It can be used on all types of flooring.
- Nothing in particular.
16. Amazon Basics Foam Interlocking Exercise Gym Floor Mat Tiles
These mats are made of high-density foam and are great for gyms and home gyms. These mates help to reduce noise during workouts and provide a safe environment in the workout area.
- Easy to assemble.
- Reduce noise during workouts.
- Puzzle-style workout mat.
- Non-skid floor and creates cushioning.
- Choice of color
- High-density foam.
- Non-skid design.
- Excellent noise reduction capacity.
- It makes workouts more comfortable.
- Protects floors from heavy workout gear.
- Nothing in specific.
17. Athlos Fitness Ab at with Tailbone protector
These mats are used for ab workouts. This is the finest workout mat for sit-ups since it gives stability and full-range action while keeping the abs tight. Exercises can be safely performed. These mats support the lower back and avoid slipping while exercising.
- Prevents slipping during workouts.
- Stability and full-range motion.
- It helps you to get six-pack abs.
- Having high density.
- Excellent for core training.
- Lower back exercise support.
- Tailbone protector.
- Compact and foldable.
- The two sections are fastened together with non-durable staples.
18. TMTXY Pilates Fitness Mats
These mats have a unique design to guide you during the workout. Exercises at all levels can be practiced and give greater durability and slide resistance.
Multiple activities can be performed by using these mats. These mats offer excellent grip and traction on any floor and can be used for different kinds of exercise.
- Double layered.
- Excellent grip.
- Slip resistance.
- Made of high-density TPE on both sides.
- Excellent traction and grip.
- The perfect option for workouts.
- Easy to clean.
- It has alignment lines.
- Nothing in specific
Several factors impact your decision on which type of mat is best for you. This includes the type of workouts you do, where you must conduct them if you will be carrying them with you regularly, and your budget. Once you’ve decided what you’ll use the mat for, you may proceed to select the best option for yourself.
Different workout mats are designed to meet your specific needs. In addition to the cushion, these mats provide the necessary balance and support during exercising.
Check also: Best Kitchen Mats
Features needed to be considered while purchasing Exercise Mats
Exercise mats should meet certain criteria before you decide to buy them. They are-
- Comfort: The mat should be comfortable while doing exercises. Depending on how frequently the activity is performed, the level of comfort will change.
- Durable: The mat should be durable and shouldn’t damage after use.
- Size: The mat size should also be considered while buying because it is essential for working comfortably.
Q1: How to clean an exercise mat?
Spray your yoga mat with a solution of equal parts water and white vinegar and let it sit for a minute. Then wipe it clean with a fresh cotton cloth. Alternatively, you can also clean your yoga mat by spritzing it with a solution made of warm water and a few drops of dishwashing detergent. Let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe it off.
Depending on the mat you have, you may or may not be able to wash it in the washing machine. When you purchase your mat, please read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Q2: What are the advantages of using a workout mat?
It is advantageous to have an exercise mat since it offers good cushioning when exercising, supports your joints, and ensures safety. They improve your body’s stability and balance when exercising and ensure you don’t trip while doing various poses and routines. Additionally, they provide a clean barrier between your body and the ground, which is crucial when exercising indoors or outside.
Q3: What is the thickness of a workout mat?
It is best to use an exercise mat 0.5 inches thick because it keeps you balanced and stable while safeguarding your joints.
It varies, though, based on each person, their needs, their health, and their circumstances. If you have sensitive joints, are pregnant, or have an injury, seek advice from a doctor and your yoga teacher before making a purchase and then decide which yoga mat is the best for your particular needs.
Although it can be tempting to choose a yoga mat based solely on colors and designs, you should only do so if it meets your needs.
Q4: What distinguishes a yoga mat from an exercise mat?
The thickness and stiffness of the material utilized are the significant markers of difference. Comparatively speaking, yoga mats are thinner, and they fall somewhere in the middle of the firmness spectrum.
They give the person doing the position stability and a cushion. Exercise mats, on the other hand, vary in thickness and firmness depending on how they are used. The softer ones are utilized for body and ab exercises, while the stiffer ones serve as padding for dropping weights and kettlebells.