There are millions of people saying how yoga changed their life. Maybe you are one of them too. Yoga originated in very ancient times in India. It is deeply rooted in Indian philosophy related to one’s soul and body. From a spiritual practice to a physical and mental cure, Yoga is completely accepted by the world in the daily routine of people’s lives.
Best Extra Thick Yoga Mats
The Bhagavad Geeta says, Yoga is a skill in action. Doing yoga every day is not rocket science, but it’s not that easy. The skill in action needs your energy to create positive energy; it takes nothing but your will and action. The only thing that can support your yoga from outside is a mat, a Yoga mat, and an extra thick yoga mat, to be more precise. An extra thick yoga mat is everything that is needed to make your yoga perfect.
In this article, we are going to discuss the best extra thick yoga mats; you must be having a yoga mat, but is that a perfect one? Let’s check!
Why should you buy the extra thick yoga mat?
During yoga, you make postures, but your knees and other joints don’t have to suffer. The extra thick yoga mats provide comfort to your joints without decreasing any of the benefits. It makes your yoga more focused. When you give some extra cushions to your joints, you will be able to focus more on your posture rather than your joint pains. Not only the cushioning but also the grip, design, and weight of the mat are important. Finding the right mat is a big task, so let us help you do the task easily. We have brought you the best extra thick yoga mats, you can choose one of them wisely and make your yoga perfect.
This yoga mat has two thickness options, 6mm and 8 mm. For those who do advanced posture practices, 6mm thickness is best; it gives a strong grip to the feet. For those who are a beginner and have aged, 8mm thickness is the best; it provides more cushioning and protects the body. It gives support to the joints, especially at the back, knees, and elbows. The mat is designed for barefoot yoga postures; during stretching, the extra thickness works as a cushion and helps in focusing on the yoga.
- It is lightweight and helps you carry it anywhere.
- It has double-sided Anti-slip Surfaces, which help in performing any movement with confidence. It does not stretch while using.
- It is suitable for homes as well as outdoor places.
- Tear resistance
- Comes with a carrying strap.
- Smells bad
- Curls up on end in the beginning.
- Only for barefoot exercises.
2. Gaiam Yoga Mat
This extra-thick yoga mat is perfect for all types of yoga, exercises, and workouts. This mat provides additional cushioning to protect your joints. It is suitable for home as well as the studio. The mat has a very beautiful print which is reversible. This can be considered one of the best extra-thick yoga mats because of its features and designs.
- The mat is 68 inches long, 24 inches wide, and 6mm thick.
- It is made up of polyvinyl chloride, which is nontoxic for the planet.
- Gaiam yoga mat includes a free yoga workout class; you can download the class for free and help yourself to get started.
- It has a sticky, no-slip texture and stabilizing grips.
- Reversible design from both sides.
- Comes with a carry strap.
- Smells very bad.
- Slippery for sweaty hands
3. GURUS Yoga mat
If you are the one with a lot of sweat when performing yoga, then this mat is a perfect match for you. It has a superior gripping system; as it gets wet, it becomes more gripped. There’s a natural waxy substance in the cork that does not let it absorb moisture. So even when your hands are wet with sweat, you won’t slip on the mat.
- The mat is made with only natural materials; it gives your skin more softness compared to other toxic PVC mats.
- The mat is 72 inches long, 25 inches wide, and 6mm thick and weighs only 2 pounds.
- You can use this same mat for years as it is made with naturally durable material, and it has tough soles.
- The yoga mat is strong, sturdy, and great for both indoors and outdoors.
- Durable for years.
- Very lightweight.
- Waterproof and dustproof due to the cork’s antimicrobial properties.
- It doesn’t lay flat in the beginning
- A bit too expensive.
4. Beautyovo Yoga Mat
This is the best extra thick yoga mat for yoga beginners who love the softness in their joints. This yoga mat is 8mm thick, double-sided, and non-slippery. The mat is suitable not only for yoga but also for gymnastics, workouts, cheerleading, and other exercises. The combination of cherry blossom pink and bright blue makes it more beautiful.
- The mat is anti-tear, sweatproof, durable, and made with safe TPE material.
- Its length is 72 inches, width is 24 inches, and thickness is 0.31 inches.
- The mat provides all-around cushioning and provides comfort to your body, helping you to focus more on your posture.
- It comes with a strap to carry it.
- Easy to clean,
- Highly gripped
- Doesn’t lay flat in the beginning. Hard to roll up.
This yoga mat is mostly recommended because of its extra thickness and high density. The mat is recognized as thick even from a distant place. It is very soft on your feet and is best for planks, yoga, pilates, and pushup workouts. It provides more support to your back with its extra cushioning material. If thickness and cushioning is your only demand, then this is the best yoga mat for you.
- It is beautifully crafted, and its hardness is suitable and not easily deformed; it is tear resistant.
- The dimensions of the mat are 72 inches long, 24 inches wide, and ⅓ inches thick.
- The mat is made up of TPE material which ensures environmental protection, it’s better isolation of moisture and dust. It only weighs 1 kg which is easy to carry with the strap provided with it.
- The mat is odor free, and its thickness makes it not just a yoga mat but a rest mat too.
- Too sticky
- A bit Costly
- Can’t bear high temperatures.
This 6mm thick yoga mat provides the perfect cushion to your back, and its increased friction design keeps your hand in place. This is perfect for women because it’s not too long, but men can use it too. The best part about the mat is that it has no smell as it is made up of thermoplastic elastomers. The mat is easy to carry as it comes with a bag and adjustable strap. You can use the mat indoors and outdoors.
- The mat is tear-resistant; even with the most stretching yoga postures, it will never get any closer to getting torn.
- The material used in the mat is eco-friendly, which is non-toxic, and recyclable.
- The size of the mat is 72inch x 24inch x 1/4inch. It is very lightweight and weighs even less than a kg.
- It is durable, waterproof, anti-scratch, and odorless.
- Very grippy and beautifully crafted, Lightweight
- Easy to carry.
- A bit slippery for hot yoga.
- Hand wash only
This vegan yoga mat is extra thick as well as extra long. With this mat, you can simply say No more painful knees and joints or compromised balance. This jute yoga mat
gives you the optimal base to ground your practice so that you can stay calm, focused, and happy. If you are the one who gets irritated with the roll up the end of the mat, then you must know that mat remains flat at the ends even in the first use.
- The size of the mat is 27 x 4.9 x 4.9 inches. It weighs around 2.27kg.
- The mat is made up of PER (Polymer Environmental Resin).
- This is simply a Jute Yoga Mat SGS certified and free of lead, cadmium, latex, phthalates, dioxins, furans, heavy metals, and toxic or harmful materials. Even the strap is made of cotton.
- It is safe, durable, comfortable, and reliable.
- Extra long
- None slippery at all.
- Not lightweight.
- Not good for hot yoga.
How to clean waterproof yoga mats?
There are waterproof yoga mats that are best for sweat and moisture, but how to clean them can be a question. You need to do nothing hard Just wipe it with a clean and damp cloth and let it naturally dry flat. You can use mild detergent also. Do not use the washing machine. And never exposed to a heater and not even under the sun for a long time.
Guide for buying an extra thick yoga mat!
Thickness: The perfect yoga mat should not be less than 3mm thick.
Quality: Always go for the mats, which are made up of natural materials.
Odor: Many yoga mats smell very bad in the beginning, and the odor never goes away; you should be cautious about if the mat is odor free or not; otherwise, you are going to regret it. Because of the bad smell, you won’t be able to focus on your postures.
Grip: Most of the mats claim to be grippy, but after a slight sweat, it gets slippery. So be sure to buy a mat that is not slippery, even with a sweaty body.
Flat ends: Most of the mats are not flat at the ends, which seems annoying and disturbs you while performing. So always go for a mat which is flat at the end.
Always go for a lightweight yoga mat because then you can carry it anywhere on your shoulder.
Q-1) What is the standard thickness of a yoga mat?
Ans: A perfect yoga mat is what helps in making your yoga more useful. A thick mat supports you at your joints and doesn’t let you worry about your joint pains. So, the standard measurement for the thickness of your yoga mat should be more than 5mm and between 8mm. At this thickness, everyone can perform the perfect yoga postures.
Q-2) What is the common factor in the best extra-thick yoga mats?
Ans: The most important factor that makes any yoga mat one of the best extra thick yoga mats is its thickness which should be more than 3mm. And then the second factor depends upon its grip. The more grip a mat has, the more perfect it is.
Q-3) Can I use a towel instead of a yoga mat?
Ans: There are many towels specially designed for doing yoga, but a towel as an alternative to a yoga mat is not better. A towel lacks in providing grip, and it doesn’t stay in place, which is a bit annoying too. You can use a towel on the top of a yoga mat to absorb your sweat and make it softer, but using just a towel is not recommended.
The best extra thick yoga mats have a common factor which is their quality, grip, price, and thickness; everything together makes a man perfect. There is no point in having an extra thick mat if it is heavier and its quality is not good. Also, too expensive yoga mats are not worth it when you can get the same at a low price. As mentioned in the above list, all of the mats are affordable. The mats included in the list of the Best extra thick yoga mats are all made of nontoxic materials and aren’t too costly. The mats have a super gripping design that is non-slippery and waterproof. Whenever you buy a yoga mat, you must look after the points mentioned. If the mentioned features are available only, then go for them.